Projects act as catalysts that play a vital role in building "a better tomorrow." But without a sophisticated project management platform, it's difficult to be successful.
A project management platform includes policies, procedures, standards, guidelines, integrated project management processes, tools, techniques, templates, project assets library, best practices, learning assets, lessons learned or next practices.
Many micro and small organizations, governments or those in emerging economies frequently don't have the enough money to invest on sophisticated information technology in building and maintaining a project management platform of their own.
This major divide in the profession could be reduced through cloud computing -- providing businesses, governments and individuals with access to a reliable project management platform over internet at an affordable price as per usage (on rental basis). This is called Project Management Cloud (PM Cloud).
Following are a few indicative PM clouds:
• Engineering & Construction PM Cloud
• Information Technology PM Cloud
• Research & Development PM Cloud
• Government PM Cloud
• Education PM Cloud
Those using cloud computing can avoid not only major capital investments, but also the ongoing complexity of managing the technology challenges.
When project management clouds (PM Clouds) are available at an affordable price, as and when needed, they can impact project management in the following ways:
• Provides leapfrog opportunities to emerging economies and small enterprises able to compete globally by leveraging "best-in-class" PM clouds
• Fosters innovation as companies leverage more affordable PM cloud options to experiment
• Minimizes the divide between small and large enterprises. Provides equal opportunities as project management clouds become available at an affordable price
• Allows for global collaboration with project talent around the world
• Facilitates global and interactive learning at an affordable price
We're still in the nascent stage of providing sophisticated integrated project management platforms in the cloud, but eventually, cloud computing will impact the way the project management is done in the future.
How do you think cloud computing is impacting project management?