While more than 80 percent of our time is spent communicating, the other aspects of the job are crammed into the remaining 20 percent. If we focus too heavily on individual tasks, we will crash into our myriad deadlines.
This is where delegating becomes essential to leading successful projects.
Personally, I would rather do everything myself than ask another team member to do things for me. But this attitude can lead to significant catastrophes:
- I would miss my deadlines or have to sacrifice my personal time to complete the tasks.
- My team members will always be team members that follow instruction. They wouldn't grow in their capacity to eventually manage projects on their own.
First, tell team members the information that you need and give them a deadline. Prepare a template to make it easier for them and to ensure you get all the necessary information. For good measure, I might remind them of what I need from them 24 hours before the deadline.
Delegation has a few benefits. First, you'll make your deadlines because you'll get the right information from the right sources, on time.
Secondly, team members are exposed to structured work and reporting methods, and will see the significance of the work they contribute to the project. Finally, you'll increase trust within the team because of greater responsibilities, which can enhance self-worth for team members.
What is your take on delegating? What tasks have you delegated to your team members? What positive impacts do you see from delegating tasks to your team members?