I use a technique where I take one task and separate it from any others that should be worked on that day. The task comes from the project plan and my calendar, so I've already assigned a duration and specific date and time to work on it.
To actually execute the specific task, I separate it in my mind from anything else I need to do and focus on it completely. In other words, I zoom in.
If disruptions are present, try focusing on your task with these tips:
1. Clear your mind of everything except what you're working on.
2. Establish what your optimal environment is. Are you most productive when it's quiet? When there are people around? At your desk?
3. Visualize the end result or completion of the task.
4. Convert or break down the task into actionable items that you or someone else on the team can handle. Converting written tasks into actionable items pushes those items to completion much faster.
5. Identify people who can help you get the task done or resources you need to get it done.
6. Jump straight into the task until completion.
What tactics do you use to "zoom in" on your tasks?